Monday, August 11, 2008

Do you have anything cheaper?

I sometimes get asked this question by people who want a cheap pet.

I can understand that people want a good deal on a rabbit. Everyone wants a good deal. Let me ask you a question though? Let's say you buy a rabbit for $20 compared to $100. Most of my rabbits are well under $100, but I'm using that as an example. A rabbit will live 8+ years usually. This means the $20 rabbit will have cost $2.50 per year and the $100 rabbit costs $12.50 per year. If you have been very careful with costs and your rabbit never gets sick, you might get away with only spending $50 per year on food and bedding. Add that to the $100 for a very basic rabbit cage set up and supplies and you will have spent $500 over 8 years. Of course you are going to want to provide your pet with treats from time to time and possibly an outdoor play pen, etc. My point is that yes you can always find a cheaper bunny somewhere if you search for one, but I think it's worth paying a tiny bit more for a bunny that you really want, instead of purchasing based on price. In the end is $10 more per year that much more to get the pet you wanted?

In case anyone is interested, I spend around $1,000 on rabbit food alone in a year and $400 on bedding. I have spent around $2,000 on my cages and $3,500 on my bunny barn. I wish I knew what it costs me to heat and cool it. Over 3 years, I'm guessing I've spent around $10K. All of my "bunny money" goes to keep my bunnies happy, healthy and comfy. Yes, I just depressed myself a little bit with those numbers. LOL

No comments: