Monday, August 11, 2008

To Worm or Not To Worm



Worming is not always necessary. I do it fairly regularly since I get new bunnies into the bunny barn and will sometimes take my bunnies outside. Pinworms are regularly found in rabbits and most of the time it is not a real cause for panic. I do worm mine because I think the rabbits stay healthier that way and it might help prevent "faders". If you have an indoor rabbit that does not go outside and is not in contact with other animals then you probably don't need to worry about it. I use Wazine 17 that you can find in a feed store (Each 100 mL contains 17 grams Piperazine Base). I add 2 Tablespoons per 1 gallon of water and fill up their water bottles and watering systems with it for 5 days straight. I saw some pinworms in my rabbitry back in 2005 but I haven't seen any at all since I've been worming them. Ivermectin also works, but it can be difficult to give the correct dosage on a small rabbit and it needs to be repeated. I use Ivermectin given orally for mites and to prevent wry neck at 0.1 ml/lb. I'm not a vet though and this is just what has worked for me.

No comments: